Monday 13 January 2014

Slow cooker pork chops

Untitled

Today was always going to be a long day. After travelling to the UK last week, I was just back in the office to a full email inbox. I knew I had to get home on time to get dinner and then head out again to open evening at the secondary school. Ms Fussy Eater will be starting there in September, and it was important for her to get a chance to see around.

But the open evening started at 7, which meant we needed to leave the house around 6:30. Aiming to be home around 5:30, I knew I wouldn't have much time.

Enter the Crock Pot.

Today I decided to try this recipe for Pork Chops on allrecipes.com. It sounded easy and tasty.

Adjustments
Instead of 1/4 cup of oil, I just added a drizzle. I don't know what chicken seasoning is, so left that out. I had no dried basil, so I used some Italian dried herbs. I had 6 chops, but kept the rest of the amounts the same.

I decided to put some chopped onion, carrot and celery at the bottom of the pot, before adding the rest of the ingredients. This, I think, added some flavour, but also some texture to the juice produced by the slow cooking.

Preparation
This morning I spent about 5 minutes chopping the carrot, celery and onion quite small. They went into the bottom of the pot. I put the chops on top, and then just added the rest of the ingredients straight into the pot.

Then I put the temperature on low, and left it for the day - about 9 hours. When I got home, I prepared some mashed potatoes. Because of the vegetables in the bottom of the pot, I didn't need to add anything else.

The Result
We had beautifully tender pork chops, with a good flavour and a delicious, chunky juice. Served with the mashed potato, the juice was easily mopped up.

The Verdict
There were no leftovers; everybody cleaned their plates. Mr Teenager declared it to be delicious, and gave the dish 8/10. Ms Fussy Eater concurred. The Au Pair also expressed her approval. This is definitely one I will cook again.

No comments:

Post a Comment